Friday, September 26, 2008

Birthplan-- I can labor!

At my first OB appt, they asked if I could have a normal labor since I had septum surgery. After leaving several messages for Dr. T, I got two replies-- one said I could and the other said I'd need a C-section! So I just went in to see what he said about it.

I felt a little uncomfortable in the waiting room, and I actually tried to hide my belly with my purse. I know I'm a success story, but I just didn't want to upset anyone who was there for a failed treatment appointment or m/c.

After waiting over 2 hours (ugh- how can this happen at every appointment??!), we talked for 10 minutes. He said a complete resection surgery usually means I would need a C-section, but my surgery didn't completely remove it and I was fine to have a normal labor. Yay-- I really did not want a C, and I have even been looking into natural birth plans. It may still happen, but I'm glad I can go into this with at least the prospect of a natural birth.

Anyway, it was kind of fun to see him again. He seemed genuinely happy for me and told me I looked great, since he hardly gets to see anyone that far along. :) Many people have their issues with him (he can be pretty blunt with bad news), but I feel I can trust him more since he tells it like it is. It sucks to wait so long to talk to him, but I've never felt rushed when he finally does see me and he always answers all my questions. And I'll forever be grateful to him for this pregnancy!

Now to sign up for my baby/birthing classes!!

3 comments:

shiner said...

I feel the same way about Dr. T. Almost everything he's ever said to me has been correct, especially the predictions. I am so glad you have the option if you want it. Am I crazy to want a c? I am so afraid of natural labor.

BTW, all of a sudden my belly has just popped out. I am not even 12 weeks and everything I read says I shouldn't be showing yet. You didn't get your bump til after 15 weeks, right?

Sasha & Mark said...

No- you're not crazy to want a C. I just hate the idea of another surgery! I also read this article, if you're interested--
http://www.babycenter.com/0_elective-cesarean-is-it-for-you_1498696.bc

That's awesome you have popped out! I started really needing maternity pants ~15 weeks, but there is no "normal" everyone is different. I could definitely see something earlier, but main thing is-- just be comfortable. I'm sure you are adorable!! :)

Ariella said...

So glad to hear that a vaginal birth will be a possibility for you! Are you going to try going med free, not sure what you meant by "natural" birth? If so I wish you the best of luck! I know no matter what, the thing most important to you is the health of your baby.