Monday, June 23, 2008

Appreciating this

After we'd been trying a little over a year my mom told me "Well, you'll appreciate your baby more since it took awhile" I was so mad. "You are full of crap! I would appreciate my child no matter what." And I'm sure that is true, I'll love my baby just as much.

But I do feel differently about this baby and this pregnancy than if it had happened on the first cycle. I really took my fertility for granted before. It was a given, it would happen. And once I accepted that no it may never happen, I now see this baby as a gift. I think about all the tears I cried and what I put my body through between surgeries and IVF, and by some miracle, it happened.

I can't say I would have done it exactly the same. I would really rather not know the pain of infertility, but since I do-- I have so much admiration and respect for the women who go through such lengths to have something most of people achieve with little effort.

Dedicated to:
LanY at Adventures In-fertility
wannabemom at Letters to Unborn baby
Shiner at her new blog whenever it begins!! :)
Lisa at Helping Make Sense
and all my T-TTC friends (past and present)

4 comments:

shiner said...

Hi there! Well thanks to you I did it. You can find me at art4mybaby.blogspot.com. Thanks for the dedication. I can appreciate how that felt - I am sure she meant well...they always do.

Unknown said...

Hey thanks! I know what you mean when you say that we take our fertility for granted. That's what I always believed. When we were ready we'd try and I'd get pregnant. No biggie. And when I realized that it wasn't so, I guess it took a really long time for that fact to sink in and be able to take action. I think it needs courage and a great deal of tenacity. And when it does happen I think it is probably the most wonderful gift ever.
Congrats to all the people who go through all this and come out smiling. I guess I have so much more appreciation now having gone through it myself.
Thanks!

LanY said...

Awww. Thanks so much for the dedication. You're so sweet. Objectively I definitely agree with the sentiment that we will appreciate it so much more because of what we endure through IF. I wish it were easier to feel comfort in this sentiment while going through the ups and downs (particularly the downs).
But what does help is having you and other IF bloggers to share their feelings and sucesses!

Lisa said...

Oh my gosh, thank you so much!! I know exactly what you mean - of course, we would love any child if they came about with little effort, but, I don't know if we would recognize what an incredible miracle they would be without the struggle and heartbreak that we've gone through or continue to go through.