Monday, August 18, 2008

Dads

I don't have a relationship with my father. For awhile we would get together at the holidays, but the past few times it just felt forced and fake. His wife is nice and tries a lot, but I just don't feel like my dad ever made much of an effort to be part of my life. There are a variety of reasons, not all his fault, but I just don't feel a bond with him at all.

I was really dragging on telling him about the baby, but I finally sent an email. And we'll probably introduce him to the baby in the spring. I think I'm more comfortable with this new relationship though. I don't feel any pressure to visit or see him, and anything we want to share is appreciated.

I'm just so happy that my baby is going to have such a wonderful father. Mark has been all about children and babies since I've met him, and I know this baby will be so loved by him. He has his faults, as we all do, but there is no bounds to his deep love and the joy I know he feels at becoming a dad.

I'm so happy to be able to give this to him. I know we would have been happy with other ways of growing our family, but I think about how this baby will be like me and like him. I'm a lot like my mom because she was my main influence, but I can't even imagine what it will be like with Mark and I raising our child together?!

Other news: Got the official 1st tri screening results-- Everything was 100% normal and 1/11,000 for Downs and 1/22,000 for Trisomy-18. Yay-- very low risk and baby is healthy!

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Great news about your results!! And, it sounds like you're at peace with the relationship you have with your dad. Good for you for getting to that point!

Ariella said...

Great news about the results.

As you may know I don't keep a relationship up with my dad but am very thankful to know that R will be a great father. I am sure Mark will be an amazing dad to this baby and that matters more now than the other relationship does.

shiner said...

I can relate to your relationship with your dad. It sounds like your husband and mine are the epitomy of father material. Isn't that wonderful? So glad everything is good with the baby.