Friday, August 29, 2008

Maternity Leave

I talked to HR yesterday about maternity benefits. I get 12 weeks off total (for Family Medical Leave Act = FMLA) and 6 weeks of that is paid at 66%. The 66% isn't taxed or 401K or anything, so it usually works out to about the same as a full pay check. Mark probably only gets vacation since his company is too small for FMLA. This is sort of what I had expected-- thank goodness I signed up for long-term disability when I was rehired!!

If we had stayed in CA, I would have got 18 weeks off total, with 12 weeks at 66%. And Mark would have had 2 weeks full pay and probably 4 weeks unpaid for FMLA. But we probably would have paid about $10k more for IVF, so I guess it works out...

The last we talked Mark thought I should go back to work at 6 weeks. I really don't like the idea of putting a 6 week old baby in daycare, and I'm not sure how I'll feel after that. I would really like to take the full 12 and then work part-time for another 6-12.

I talked to my Brother-in-law and his wife who just had their second. They said they would be concerned about the colds/flu/sickness that goes around daycares with a baby that small. So we'll talk to them more this weekend when Mark is here too. I think Mark would like to stay home, so maybe that's an option too?

Now that I'm in my second tri, I'm still surprised at how un-pregnant I feel. I'm not showing much, don't feel the baby, haven't done much of anything to prepare for the baby. Feb seems like a long way off, but I'm sure once the holidays are upon us, it will come very quickly!!

4 comments:

shiner said...

Sounds like good benefits to me. I can understand your concern about day care but I was in day care from the time I was 6 weeks old until I started school since my mom was single. I turned out okay...sort of;o> I can't believe you're not showing...I have a feeling I'll show way sooner than later as bloated as I already am.

Just wait till those holidays hit - you'll probably go baby crazy and it will be so much fun!

Sasha & Mark said...

Yeah, I think the baby will be fine-- it is more just me! I will want to be with my baby!!

I'll post a belly pic next week, maybe?? I'm sorta showing, especially if you know how I normally look.

~M~ said...

I hope you can take all the time you need! I'm looking forward to seeing a belly shot!

Alli B said...

Your benefits sound just like mine. I feel the same way, worried about putting a 6 week old baby in day care. I hope you can work it out to take 12 weeks and then work part time.
I have to say I love reading your blog. It makes me feel better, because I feel un-pregnant now that I am in the second tri and also haven't done much to prepare for the baby. So I know I amnot alone! But February is still a ways away, so there is plenty of time.