Friday, July 18, 2008

layoffs

My company had layoffs yesterday. I wasn't affected, and since I work remotely, I didn't find out until today. A good friend/mentor of mine was let go! He'd been with the company a long time. I'm really surprised that they didn't fire me too. I know they value me, but it seems pretty easy to cut someone remote.

Anyway, I'm trying to decide if telling will help or hurt? Like maybe they'd be less likely to lay off a pg lady because of descrimination, or maybe since it is happening anyway, I'd be at more risk. I was thinking I'd tell them after the u/s on Monday, but now I'm not sure. Maybe I should wait until I go out there at the end of August? I hate my job, but I was really hoping to keep it until I delivered!

I also found out that I will probably get 6 weeks of maternity leave at 66% of my pay! I signed up for disability insurance when I first started, mainly because my mom is disabled. I didn't even think about it covering pregnancy, but I called today and they said it would. I'm not 100% counting on it because she couldn't give me the full details, but I imagine this is something I'll find out when I announce.

2 comments:

Ariella said...

I think waiting till August is a good idea. Then you can tell the boss in person. Also seeing you again will remind them how much they love and need you. Hopefully that will help you keep your job till the baby is born!

shiner said...

I agree with Ariella. Technically they can't fire a pg lady but some companies do anyway and say it was for some other reason. I'd tell them face to face after a few more "wins" under my belt, too.