Friday, January 16, 2009

Last day of work...

I was laid off yesterday! I'm not quite sure how I feel. This is something I've sort of been wanting for awhile-- I hate my job and knew I would need to find something else on maternity leave. So now I get to leave and get some $$. But part of me is really irritated that they did this the week before I was going on maternity leave. I mean-- who lays off a 9 month pregnant woman?! I guess the timing isn't as bad as it might be like if I was 6 months or something.

I'm also annoyed because I have a ton of questions about collecting unemployment while pregnant and post partum and disability that they really couldn't answer. Come on-- if you are going to lay off the pregnant woman, you should at least know the benefits! They told me yesterday if I had already been out, I could keep collecting. And I told them I filed my claim yesterday, so does that mean my claim will go through? I've also been working there just 2 weeks shy of 1 year, which I have no idea what that means for unemployment?! I have to go back today and turn in my laptop, so hopefully they will be able to tell me.

My manager was upset that he had to do this. He said it basically makes no sense because if they are trying to cut costs-- why would they fire someone who is getting ready to go on a big leave? It also continues to surprise me that they don't let the managers make the decisions about who should go. This was the case with the layoff in June.

Anyway, overall, I probably did make out really well working there. It was very flexible, which was great for doing IVF. It was very low stress, and there were plenty of days where I took it really easy.

And financially, we'll be fine. I am on Mark's healthplan, and the baby will be too. She hasn't started daycare, so we can defer that until I'm working again (much better than having to pull her out and put her on the waiting list again!). We don't make quite enough to sustain me staying at home indefinitely, but our deficit isn't that bad.

I think I'd just feel a lot better if I had my questions answered.

5 comments:

Open Roads Mama said...

I wonder where you live. In Canada, BC specifically, we need at least 600 hours worked before going on maternity leave to receive the payments, but they take a whole year into consideration for calculating payments, if you've worked a full year.

It's hard having so many questions, I know, I'm in the same boat.

http://myopenroads.blogspot.com/

andrea said...

The timing totally sucks and I hope they were able to answer your questions today. It does sound like once you are ready to start working again, you'll be able to find something that you like better!

shiner said...

I'm sorry but that is just truly crappy! I know you are somewhat realieved but it is just wrong to fire the pregnant woman. Glad you'll be okay without them.

shiner said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SmartAssMom said...

Ugh, that's lousy! I hope you get the details figured out with unemployment, disability, etc.